Have y’all missed me? I’ve missed y’all! I’ve been traveling and working and vacationing—and I’ve been so busy it has been a while since I’ve posted. But all my travels, especially my trip to Key West back in May, have gotten me fired up for summer. And since you know I’m all about fashion and trends, I wanted to share some of my faves for Summer 2015. So, here goes:
My Top Summer Trends I’m digging on!
1. RED: Red lips, red hats, red boots, red everything. I’ve always been a “Pink is my Signature Color” (hotter, brighter pink, that is!) kinda girl like Shelby in “Steel Magnolias.” But (shhhh! Don’t tell!) I am cheating on my tried and true this season and embracing the red! Especially on my lips. I’m loving the neutral eyes, black eyeliner, very little makeup period and BAMMMM red lips! And, trust me, I have big enough lips without red to see them coming. LOL!
Another lipstick trend that I find fascinating is matching lips to outfits and accessories—regardless of whether it’s red! I tend toward bold lips, but so many of my friends, whom shall remain nameless, still can’t seem to embrace the out there lips.
My advice: Be Brave ~ BE BOLD with the lips. Make ’em stare—it’s summer, Sisters! My current go-to red is Mac Red—Mac has some super awesome lip and eye colors. Being dark-headed, I lean toward red/blue rather than orange/reds. Try them out before you buy them—red’s tricky—make sure you find the best match for your skin tone and your hair! This is why it’s worth spending a few extra bucks, because if you buy cosmetics from a department store and the color isn’t right, you can return them.
2. What might be my current obsession other than lips, you ask? SUNGLASSES. I don’t know if the obsession comes from wearing glasses so much when I was younger and sunglasses weren’t an option; or is it because they are considered an accessory, and I’m a self-proclaimed accessory whore; or is it because you can look so many different ways in sunglasses (sexy, moody, tomboy, sweet, hippie); is it because the stars looks so damn glamorous in them?
I. DON’T. KNOW.
I just know I heart them.
All kidding aside, sunglasses have become as important a part of making an outfit complete these days—it’s just as important as the shoes and the purses.
Lorinda had to refrain me from going nuts while we were in L.A. recently—every store I went in tempted me with such lovely, creative eyewear. The world of sunglasses has come along way! The lenses are great, the colors are rad and you can get just about any shape you want! Loving the top two styles this season: Aviators (still after a year loving my Maui Jims) and Cat Eyes. The Cat Eyes are soooo glamorous, and did I mention they look amazing with over-the-top lips? I just happened to pick up my new faves in Venice Beach just a couple of weeks ago. Lulu (mom) keeps trying to steal them but I think I will keep these babies for a while. Sorry, Lulu!
3. COACHELLA BABY! I know you’re so over seeing Kylie and Kendall Jenner hanging out in their high-waisted cut-offs, John Lennon sunglasses, floppy hats and itty-bitty tops. Don’t be haters folks—I remember the day of the itty-bitty crop tops—what I wouldn’t give to be able to pull that off just one more time! But I digress…my top Coachella trend is the kimono/shawl/jacket silky thing (No, I don’t know the best word for it, but I’m thinking kimono is the best bet!). That kimono looks out of this world when you pair it with your favorite tee, denim shorts and turquoise jewels. I’m a hippie at heart and I feel this is a new version of hippie. The silky, fringy kimonos make even a casual graphic sassy tee somehow dressy and feminine. Footwear is up to you. You can’t go wrong with boots (my pick), sandals or a killer wedge. I call them killer wedge because they kill me and I tend to trip in them and can only wear them for a few hours at a time! But, the thing you have to have with this kimono is FRINGE—don’t leave home without it! It finishes the look. Currently I only have one (and those who know me know I freak out when I’m on a trend and one is never enough) that has a cream-colored background color with a beautiful watercolor floral print. Now I’m on a mission to find the perfect leopard one and the perfect black one with the bright floral accents. In my humble opinion leopard or floral are definitely the way to go!
4. WEDGES, WEDGES, WEDGES! Although I don’t walk so well in them and my feet complain, I’m still drooling over the wedges I’m seeing out and about this summer. I’ve bought a few, even though I only can wear them a few hours at a time :), because they are so damn cute! The peep toe bootie with the wedge heel seems to be the going rage at this point in the season. It’s a cross between a sandal, boot and a wedge—what? How perfect is that? It seems as if we’re putting a summer twist on the fall trend of the short boots—or is it a fall twist on the summer trend of sandals? Whatever…the wedges I’m drawn to are more of what I would call a gladiator, strappy feel with a little bit of a hippie, earthy look.
5. LEOPARD AND FLORAL! I know, you saw what I did there…I brought one of my earlier loves into this love. Anyway, leopard has been around for quite some time now and is not leaving anytime soon. This print has been translated and reinvented so many times the last couple of years—which I personally think is fabulous! This year we’re seeing it in kimonos, bathing suits, silky tops and comfy tees. The one thing about leopard is that so many different walks of life and ages can wear it in sooooo many ways! Leopard is easy to dress up or down and I feel kinda sexy and sassy when I wear it! Now, floral is a little bit harder to pull off and seems to be trending a little young right now. When we were in L.A. recently it was on everything from baseball caps to overalls. Being a child of the ’80s and ’90s, I remember the big cabbage roses from way back when and still can’t quite wrap my brain around wearing that floral version again. However, I am loving the watercolor florals popping up in the silk shirts and, again, my favorite clothing trend: kimonos (Shocker I know!).
So, for all that stuff I’m in a fashion fizz over, here’s one trend I won’t be trying for 2015:
No explanation needed (I hope).
P.S. I feel a plaid-filled fall coming on! I’m thinking tartans are making a comeback and maybe a little hounds tooth! And I would be holding out on you if I didn’t let you know I’m about to be on the hunt for a bomber jacket. “I feel the need, the need for speed!”
~ Maverick, Top Gun.
(If you’re too young and don’t get the reference, for the love of Pete, download and watch “Top Gun” A.S.A.P. and quit making me feel old!)