Two years ago in March, Brandi Todd was spending the day with her two children in a local park in Stephenville, Texas. It was a beautiful day, sunny not many clouds in the sky. She noticed a man acting strangely and before she knew it, it felt like she had been shot. Her life forever changed in that moment. Brandi wasn’t shot that day, she was stabbed by a mentally unstable man who didn’t even know her. A random act of violence witnessed by her children that left her with 90% of her spinal cord severed and a 1% chance to ever walk again. She can remember hearing her daughter asking “is my mother going to die?”
How do you even begin to not just recover, but wrap your head around your new life when something like that happens? I can’t imagine. I remember hearing Brandi’s story on the news, it was so tragic and horrible. I would be bitter, angry and well let’s just say it not a very nice person after having gone thru that. Not Brandi. She is by far one of the most positive people I have ever met in my life. Yes, her life is different and challenging, but whose isn’t she says? She can’t stand whiners, understandably so. She is a Gypsy Sister that everyone should aspire to be ~ positive, hard working, self reliant and funny as hell.
I sat down with Brandi, while she was designing her new shoe for Gypsy Soule. Portions of the proceeds from the sale of the shoe go to The Brandi Todd Medical Fund. I haven’t seen the final product yet, but the girl has great taste as well!!! As always, we asked her our ’sister questions’ and here is what she had to say.
1. Why is it important to live by your own rules?
2. If your house were burning what is the one item you would grab before leaving?
Assuming that my family was safe, pictures. I would want to get all of my pictures out.
3. What are the beauty products you can’t live without?
Mascara, lip-gloss and shine spray for my hair
4. Where is your favorite place to shop?
Grand Entry in Stephenville & Charlotte Russe
5. When you were little what did you want to be when you grew up and why?
A nurse or a doctor. My Nana is a nurse and I spent summers with her. I just grew up wanting to be her.
6. What women do you admire and why?
Women who have vision and go after what they want. Strong women who are also able to hold on to their compassionate side, who aren’t cut throat. Women who are still human while making their dreams come true.
7. What is the hardest thing about being a woman in your industry?
I have never had any major issues at work because I am a woman, although men can be somewhat condescending towards women.
8. Have you read any books lately that you would recommend to us?
I am reading the Hunger Games right now, but I have been so busy that I haven’t had a chance to finish it yet.
9. Pet Peeve?
Whining and complaining about small problems I would trade you for.
10. What is the most memorable day of your life?
Right now, it’s the day I got stabbed – As time goes by I think other days will take its place. Before the stabbing it was the day my children were born.
11. What’s on your DVR?
Once Upon A Time
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding
12. What’s on your IPOD?
A lot of Six Market Blvd, Aaron Watson, Brandon Rhyder, Jimmy Buffett. It is mainly Texas Country
13. Favorite Cocktail?
Cape Cods with lime
14. After a bad day what do you do to wind down?
Yard work, getting outside, in the pool with a glass of wine always helps.
15. After a good day what do you do to celebrate?
Hang out with my family and friends
16. If you could have dinner with any four people alive or dead, who would they be?
Jesus, my Mom, my Dad and my Poppa
17. Favorite thing to do on a rainy Saturday afternoon?
Lay in bed and watch movies
18. What do you see as your biggest challenge in life?
Finding a balance between work, therapy, my kids and having some me time.
19. What is the best advice you have been given, and who gave it to you?
My Poppa always told me to trust in God. There is something bigger than you and in the end it will all be okay and that is comforting.
And don’t forget Gypsy Sisters ~ when your local store and you purchase The Crazy Brandi a portion of the funds go back to her medical and rehab expenses!